The Monroe Professional Center is a commercial condominium project located at the intersection of 10th Street and 18th Avenue in Monroe’s bustling central business district. The project’s 17 separate condominium units range in size from a 335 square foot efficiency office to a 4,216 square foot multi-level professional office. Though most units are designed as professional offices, the complex also includes a loft residential unit, a restaurant and an indoor archery range.
Two adjoining buildings, known as the Fitzgibbons Building and the Monroe Professional Center Building, were integrated to create the Monroe Professional Center condominium. They have a combined footprint of approximately 41,000 square feet and contain approximatly 35,000 square feet of usable space. Penetrations between the Fitzgibbons and Monroe Professional Center buildings were created on both the basement and first floor levels. This gives all unit owners and tenants of either building an interior route to project entrances from 10th Street, 18th Avenue and the at-grade rear entrance from the project’s south parking lot.
The Monroe Professional Center Building
The Monroe Professional Center Building is the largest of the two structures housing 11 separate units and approximately 20,400 square feet of usable space. The building was constructed on the site of that portion of the original Fitzgibbons buggy factory that was destroyed in the 1948 fire. A major renovation of the building started in 1995 resulted in the installation of new heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical and communications systems. All units are constructed to ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] standards.
The Fitzgibbons Building
The Fitzgibbons building is rich in local history. It is all that remains of the Fitzgibbons Bros. buggy works, a manufacturer of buggies in the late 1800s and early 1900s. One of Monroe’s most infamous fires destroyed about 60% of the original building on August 28, 1948. The present Fitzgibbons Building is all that was spared. It is a very solid building, having been retrofitted with steel I-beam reinforcing in the 1960s or 1970s. The original brick and stone walls remain intact, a feature that is being emphasized in various spaces.
Though the shell is original, the Fitzgibbons is a completely modern building having been renovated to ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] standards and featuring new heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing and communications systems, as well as a new roof, new double pane windows and a new elevator. With the exception of the rustic interior and exterior surfaces [deliberately preserved], the Fitzgibbons is essentially a completely new building.
The Monroe Professional Center condominium complex includes two parking lots providing dedicated on-site parking for a total of 32 vehicles. Additional parking is available on both sides of 18th Avenue [there are no time restrictions for parking on either side of 18th Avenue] and in a municipal parking lot, with capacity for 40 vehicles, located about one-half block to the north.
Proximity & Access
The Monroe Professional Center is located at the intersection of 18th Avenue and 10th Street. 18th Avenue is a major north-south street connecting to State Highway 69 on the north side of Monroe. 10th Street is the only entrance to the courthouse square from the east and it continues west to its intersection with Highway 69 and Monroe’s west business district.
The Monroe courthouse square, with its many shops, restaurants and services, is located one-half block west of the Monroe Professional Center. Directly across 10th Street is Wisconsin Bank & Trust and one-half block west is First National Bank and Trust. The Monroe City Hall, Monroe Post Office and Goetz Theater are located only one-half block south.